History of JSC Research Center of Construction
JSC Research Center of Construction traces its history back to 1927, when the State Institute of Structures (GIS) was established at the initiative of the Directorate of Science and Technology of the All-Soviet Union Economic Council. The engineer G. B. Krasin was appointed director of GIS. The main task of GIS consisted in establishment and promotion of scientific and technical framework of industrial construction and development in the country.
In 1930, due to expansion of its operations in a number of regions of the country, GIS was renamed the All-Soviet Union State Scientific and Investigation Institute of Civil, Industrial, and Engineering Structures (VIS) of Soyuzstroy of the All-Soviet Union Economic Council.
In 1931, the Research Institute of Bases and Underground Structures (NIIOSP) was established as the All-Soviet Union Institute of Bases and Foundations (VIOS).
In 1931, the scope of tasks was extended and GIS was transformed into the Central Institute of Industrial Structures (TSNIIPS).
As the Great Patriotic War began in 1941, TSNIIPS was evacuated to Orsk in the Urals. A small part of employees of the Institute remained in Moscow and rendered technical assistance in construction of defense plants.
In 1954, the Government issued the Decree on Development of Manufacturing of Prefabricated Reinforced Constructions and Components for Construction. After that, in 1956, TSNIIPS was subdivided into the Scientific and Research, Engineering Design, and Technology Institute of Concrete and Reinforced Concrete (NIIZHB) and the Central Scientific and Research Institute of Building Structures (TSNIISK).
At the initiative of V. A. Kucherenko, the Academy of Construction and Architecture (AC&A) of the USSR was established and included NIIZHB, TSNIISK, and NIIOSP as independent organizations.
In 1958, NIIOSP was approved as the head institute of construction industry in the field of foundation and underground engineering.
In 1963, TSNIISK was named after the statesman, prominent Soviet scientist and designer V. A. Kucherenko.
In 1966, NIIOSP was awarded the Order of the Red Banner of Labor for great contribution to development of underground engineering.
In 1971, the Order of the Red Banner of Labor for great contribution to development of construction was given to V. A. Kucherenko TSNIISK.
In 1974, NIIOSP was named after its founder, the prominent Russian scientist Nikolay Mikhailovich Gersevanov.
In 1981, NIIZHB was awarded the Order of the Red Banner of Labor for great contribution to development of theory of concrete and reinforced concrete.
The State Research Center of Construction was founded on the basis of the three distinguished institutes in 1994. Pursuant to the Decree of the Government of the Russian Federation, V. A. Kucherenko TSNIISK, N. M. Gersevanov NIIOSP, and NIIZHB were included in the Federal State Unitary Enterprise Research Center of Construction as its structural subdivisions.
Pursuant to the Decree No. 18-38 of the Ministry of Construction of the Russian Federation of May 31, 1996, the Center was charged with main scientific research functions in the field of construction, architecture, urban development, and housing and utility infrastructure.
In 2004, the State Research Center was reorganized into the Federal State Unitary Enterprise Research Center of Construction including three branches: NIIZHB, V. A. Kucherenko TSNIISK, and N. M. Gersevanov NIIOSP (Order No. 1769-r of the Government of the Russian Federation of December 31, 2004).
In 2007, in connection with the 80th anniversary of the founding of the Institute and the 110th anniversary of the birth of A. A. Gvozdev, NIIZHB was named after Alexey Alexeyevich Gvozdev.
In 2009, following privatization, the Federal State Unitary Enterprise Scientific and Research Center of Construction was transformed into an open joint-stock company wholly owned by the Government. The institutes lost their legal status and all their rights and obligations were transferred to OJSC Research Center of Construction. On March 19, 2015, legal form of OJSC Research Center of Construction was changed: OJSC was transformed into JSC. Today, JSC Research Center of Construction is a single legal person and it executes property and personal non-property rights, bears obligations, and acts as a claimant and a respondent in court and arbitration on behalf of itself.
In 2014, the Research Center of Construction along with such organizations as the Russian Academy of Architecture and Construction Sciences (RAASN), the Moscow State University of Civil Engineering (MGSU), and the Moscow Institute of Architecture (MARKHI) joined the ranks of coordinators of the Construction and Architecture technology platform approved by the decision of the Presidium of the Presidential Council for Economic Modernization and Innovations of Russia (Minutes No. 4 of July 9, 2014).
The Construction and Architecture technology platform includes six sections:
Construction Technologies and Procedures.
Information Environment and Process Management.
Resource Efficiency, Safety, and Environmental Science.
City and Municipal Services.
The first three sections were assigned to MGSU, the 5th one – to RAASN, and the 6th section – to MARKHI.
JSC Research Center of Construction is in charge of the Section Resource Efficiency, Safety, and Environmental Science.